CARIM is co-financed by
the European Union
CARIM Mailing List
Join the CARIM Mailing List and receive updates on work being undertaken within the project and the release of publications, texts and data.
The European University Institute (RSCAS) has been selected by the European Commission to carry out a Study on “Labour Markets Performance and Migration Flows in Arab Mediterranean Countries: Determinants and Effects” (Nº ECFIN/D/2008/036).
Scientific Director: Philippe Fargues
Project Coordinator: Iván Martín
The objectives of the Study are two-fold:
- to analyze the key labour market determinants of migration flows from selected Arab Mediterranean Countries (Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Syria, Tunisia and the Occupied Palestinian Territories), with a particular emphasis on demographic pressures, wage differentials and relative income disparities with the EU, employment policies, labour market flexibility and unemployment rates; this analysis includes the impact of migration on Arab Mediterranean Countries (AMCs) labour markets;
- to propose a series of specific recommendations to improve the design of EU’s migration policies towards AMCs and policy options available to them for the management of mismatches between labour supply and demand.
Team of Experts for the Study
- Philippe Fargues, Migration Programme Director, RSCAS-EUI, Italy
- Iván Martín, Project Coordinator, RSCAS-EU and ICEI, Spain
- Samir Aita, General Manager, A Concept Mafhoum (on Syria)
- Rafik Bouklia-Hassane, Université d’Oran, Algeria
- Jad Chaaban, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- Brahim El-Mouaatamid, Research Assistant – CARIM Project, RSCAS-EUI, Italy
- Thoraya El-Rayyes, ILO Arab States Regional Office, Jordan
- Tamirace Fakhoury, Research Assistant, CARIM Project, EUI-RSCAS
- Larabi Jaidi, Université Mohammed V de Rabat, Morocco
- Nathalie Jouant, Research Assistant, CARIM Project, EUI-RSCAS
- Mustafa Khawaja, Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics, Palestine
- Azzam Mahjoub, Université de Tunis, Tunisia
- Francesca Marchetta, University of Florence
- Mohammad Omari, Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics, Palestine
- Ibrahim Saif, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace (on Jordan)
- Fatiha Talahite, CNRS, Université Paris 13 Nord, France (on Algeria)
- Alessandra Venturini, Executive Director - CARIM Project, RSCAS-EUI, and University of Turin, Italy
- Jackline Wahba, University of Southampton, UK (on Egypt)
To cope with the ample regional diversity and the variety of issues addressed in the Study, 10 background papers have been commissioned to feed the Study:
8 national background papers on labour market performance and migration flows in Arab Mediterranean Countries. A country-by-country analysis (on (Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Syria, Tunisia and the Occupied Palestinian Territories), following a common questionnaire, of the migration trends in the AMCs, with particular emphasis on key labour market factors such as demographics, labour costs, skills composition, effectiveness and efficiency of current employment policies, recent labour market reforms, contractual arrangements and size of the informal sector.
2 thematic background papers on “EU migration Policy’s Impact on AMC Labour Markets” and “Impact of Migration on AMC Labour Markets”.
The study was to be carried out between January and September 2009. The main activities were the following:
- Methodological Workshop. Florence, 28 January 2009. A one-day co-ordination workshop focused on methodology and data issues for the country background papers.
- Validation Workshop. Montecatini Terme, 26-27 March 2009. A two-days workshop to discuss and validate country and thematic background papers and undertake a regional comparative analysis of labour market performance and migration flows in AMCs.
- Policy-Makers and Experts Conference on “Labour Markets and Migration Flows in Arab Mediterranean Countries”. Cairo, October 2009. A two-days workshop for policy makers, labour market specialists and experts on migration issues from the EU and the AMCs to present and discuss the final Study and proposals and recommendations to improve the design of EU’s migration policies towards AMCs and policy options available to them for the management of mismatches between labour supply and demand.
CARIM has launched the new research topic: "Gender and Migration". Click here for more details and information on related events.
CARIM is currently publishing papers following research into Highly-Skilled Migration into, through and from the Southern and Eastern Mediterranean and Sub-Saharan Africa. Click on the link to view the papers in the series.
CARIM Migration Profiles provide an overview of demographic, economic, legal and sociopolitical aspects shaping migration in the country.
Click here for more information
CARIM has published 36 papers as a result of research into Irregular Migration in Southern and Eastern Mediterranean Countries.
Click on the link to view the papers in the series.
CARIM has published 38 papers as a result of research into Circular migration in the Euro-Mediterranean area. Click on the link to view the papers in the series.
CARIM has just published 10 papers on Iraqi Refugees in Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Egypt and Turkey. Click on the link to view the papers.